Whether as the result of genetics, pregnancy, aging, or weight change, women may develop sagging in the labia: the skin around their vaginal opening. Labiaplasty is a common surgical procedure that reduces this skin and creates a more compact and youthful appearance.
Dr. Brady is an expert in labiaplasty and the only cosmetic gynecology specialist in Dallas. A certified fellow of the American Board of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, she has performed the procedure for thousands of women who wanted greater comfort and more confidence in their appearance.
A Single Surgery to Help Women Look and Feel Their Best
Many patients choose to have labiaplasty for aesthetic reasons. They aren’t happy with the way their loose labial skin looks, and they feel less confident in their appearance and in intimate situations. Labiaplasty offers a firmer, younger appearance.Alternatively, about half of the patients who come to Women’s Wellness Institute of Dallas for labiaplasty decide to have the procedure to resolve their discomfort. As examples:
- They may experience irritation or uncomfortable bulging when wearing certain clothes, like a thong or yoga pants.
- They might not be able to enjoy their favorite activities, like horseback riding or spin.
- Sagging labial skin may interfere with intercourse or personal hygiene. Patients may have to move this tissue out of the way during sex or adjust this skin when placing a tampon.
Surgery revises the sagging labial skin in a way that resolves irritation, frees patients to wear and do what they want, and increases the pleasure of intimacy.
Exploring Options with Labiaplasty
Each patient will begin with an initial consultation at Women’s Wellness Institute of Dallas. During this visit, Dr. Brady will take the time to get to know her and to learn about her goals.
Dr. Brady will also perform a physical examination, during which patients can show her their specific areas of concern. Labiaplasty can address the inner (minora) labial lips, the outer (majora) labial lips, or both. Because our practice has extensive experience in labiaplasty procedures, patients also have the opportunity to look through a variety of before and after photos to get a sense of the results they can expect.
See Before and After Photos from Happy Labiaplasty Patients
Labiaplasty of the Minora
Dr. Brady emphasizes education as part of patient care. Some of the details she tends to discuss with patients follow:
- In addition to creating a firmer appearance, Dr. Brady can perform the labiaplasty in a way that gives the labia a pinker pigmentation, which some tend to associate with youthfulness.
- Excess skin often affects the area around the clitoris. To make the labia match aesthetically with this area, labiaplasty is usually paired with a reduction of the clitoral hood, either by removing skin at the side (hood reduction) or by lifting the hood (clitoropexy).
- Labiaplasty does not affect a woman’s ability to deliver vaginally in the future. The surgery also does not affect the g-spot, and Dr. Brady does not operate on the clitoris or its nerves directly, so there is no risk of diminishing sexual sensation.
During a patient’s consultation, recovery, restrictions, and pricing will be discussed in detail. Dr. Brady will also take the time to answer any questions a patient may have so each patient can confidently make a fully informed decision involving her individualized treatment plan.
What to Expect with Labiaplasty
Following surgery, patients will have a short rest at office or the outpatient center before getting a ride home with a friend or family member. Dr. Brady will provide them with her mobile phone number so that she will always be available to answer their questions.
The morning after labiaplasty, we will ask patients to come in for an examination to make sure they are healing well and to begin a regimen of antibiotics. Overall, most women take 2-3 days off work and their normal routine, and then they follow the guidelines below:
- Treat the surgical site with ice packs for the first three days: 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off.
- Use a stool softener to prevent constipation.
- Don’t exercise.
- Wear loose clothing, avoid using tampons, and do not participate in oral sex, anal sex, or intercourse.
- Do not soak in water including bubble baths and hot tubs.
Most of our patients describe the pain related to recovery as manageable and many manage post-operative pain merely with over-the-counter medications. As the nerves heal and the stitches dissolve, patients may feel itching, which they can treat with BENADRYL® as well as with the lidocaine ointment our practice provides. These symptoms usually subside after 10-14 days.
Patients will have mostly healed six weeks after labiaplasty, though it will take 4-6 months to see the final results of surgery. Around this time, we invite patients back to Women’s Wellness Institute of Dallas to make sure that they are completely thrilled with the improvement they’ve enjoyed from their procedure.
“Dr Brady and her staff made my experience just perfect! I had the labiaplasty procedure that was something I wanted done for years! The staff was professional and very friendly. I laughed, talked without feeing rushed and not once did I feel uncomfortable. Every question was answered and more information was given than expected. Dr Brady was very informative, understanding, and made my vagina “pretty”! I have already recommended her to friends who have also been uncomfortable with their vagina appearance.”
– R.B. from Terrell, TX
Labia Minoraplasty, Clitoral Hood Reduction
Genetics, aging and weight changes can prevent women from looking the way they want, taking part in the activities they love, and enjoying intimacy to the fullest. To learn more about labiaplasty before and after, contact Women’s Wellness Institute of Dallas online or by phone at 214-347-7234.